I've been trying to do two entries a week, updating on Tuesday and Thursday, but due to the post office not wanting to let go of my copy of Haale's No Ceiling, I'm afraid that I don't have many options open for today other than reiterating my love of Midnight Boom (justifiably this time, since I actually have it now) and diving into that dreadful ocean of shittiness that is opinion articles. So, let's take a swim.Question: I know that I'm an archaic creature (so archaic that I should be in your car's gas tank right about now), but when did "indie" stop being an abbreviation for one's contract status and became a genre in and of itself?
I never really noticed this trend over the past few years, aside from my old college town being invaded by skinny (read: anorexic) 18-22 year-old boys wearing prepubescent girls' jeans, but just recently this bizarre transformation became apparent to me. I was wandering the grand sanctuary of the misanthropic elitist bastard (i.e. the internet) looking for new and interesting music and stumbled upon a band by the name of The Hush Sound. While I wasn't really impressed with what I heard from samples online, and thus did not seek out to purchase their album that came out today, something I saw on their myspace caused some alarm. The background image at the top of the page stated "Available Now At Target® for $9.98 (Limited Time Only)." However, I couldn't help but notice that under their genre labels, they were listed as "indie."

Now, I realize that, quite often in this crazy world we live in, the label applied to something can change in definition. It's all part of the mutation of language. I understand. I'm cool with that. But to have a special deal at a major retailer on your latest musical contribution undermines one's credibility as an "independent."
Before you all jump on me calling me a smug indie-hipster-elitist freak, note that I couldn't care less who prints a band's albums. You make good music, you sell it; I don't begrudge anyone for making money off of hard work. You hit the big time, congratulations. However, I do find it ridiculous to use the indie trend as a marketing strategy, as paradoxical as that seems. Then again, I seem to be under the anachronistic idea that "independent" means "free from corporate attachments."
Note also that this isn't the first time I've seen something like this. The major labels are signing numerous bands with the general aesthetic of the "indie" subculture, not much unlike when punk was co-opted by companies selling leather jackets. The point was missed by the corporate heads then, and not much seems to have changed. Find what's popular, and make it easier to sell. I suppose you can't begrudge them too much; they are trying to stay in business after all.
One last thing to mention: don't spell "indie" with a "y." "Indy" is a much-loved fictitious hero that we can all look up to as the rugged standard of American manliness. Confusing him with some scrawny music nerds obsessed with obscurity makes him mad. And you don't want to see Indy mad.

Webcomic cropped and mutilated from Diesel Sweeties

1 comment:
I thought I left a comment saying how much I love this post. I guess something went wrong.
So, to reiterate, this post put a smile on my face, and had a good point. Thank you.
Keep them coming.
Post a Comment