First, I would like to state that this entry is late because of computer difficulties due to people in the world being scumbags that do terrible things to other people's computers. Things are sorted out on the hardware end, but unfortunately the budget end is still a tad out-of-whack, so we're going to reach back to the bygone 1995 for today's quick n' dirty coverage.Swans. I know nothing about the band. A friend loaned me The Great Annihilator, and I am now hooked. I am wishing I had found out about this band back in 1995, when this album was released, so as to have many years and cherished memories. Had I listened to this over a decade ago, I might have been inspired to take up a guitar in my teens instead of now; this is the sort of music I want to make.
Trying to pigeonhole this album is a pain. It varies between outright disturbing art-rock to something industrial to amazingly bright-sounding guitar blasts and so on. Despite it's variety, it works amazingly well as a whole. If anything is wrong with this album, it's the length; The Great Annihilator is too damn long. But in any event, I recommend it highly. It has become one of my new favorites and never stops being a mind-bending experience.
Some favorite tracks: "I Am The Sun," "Mind/Body/Light/Sound," "My Buried Child"
Official Swans website

4 comments:
For such a simple cover, it's very arresting.
I fucking love this album. Fucking love it. There's not much else to say. I listened to it on the London Underground during a grinding journey. It was perfect. If I wasn't about to go to bed I'd throw it on this minute.
Shit, can I gush enough?
Been reappraising this album and this band recently. I've been in a rather not-so-well place, so I'm only listening to them in small doses, but my, are they ever amazing. Essential listening for anyone who likes dark music that attacks the listener, then stunds them with euphoric bliss.
*stuns
Post a Comment