Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw at The Escapist said in a review about a month ago that this is the season of "bugger all's coming out." I agree with that statement, although I refer to music as opposed to video games. While he took the opportunity to review a game he thought was overlooked from a couple years ago, I instead will indulge in a request of sorts.
When I was in college, I was introduced to the animations of the Brothers Quay. One of the aspects of their mind-blowing animations that always haunted me long after watching the films was the music. The backing compositions really inspired me and echo through my mind on a regular basis. Interpret that as hearing voices if you must, but when you actually hear this stuff, you'll understand.
The composer for almost all of the Quay's animations is Lech (or Leszek) Jankowski. His music is absolutely brilliant, moving, and has inspired numerous poems for this poor writer. Unfortunately, if I want to listen to any of his music, I need to throw in my Brothers Quay Collection DVD, which inevitably means I will wind up watching the screen instead of focusing on the music. I will admit that this isn't a bad thing since the Quays are geniuses in their own right, sometimes I just want to separate the two and enjoy the subtle nuances of some beautiful tunes.
This is where you, my (presumably) loyal reader come in. I understand that there has been a CD released of Jankowski's music (so sayeth his official website). It is titled Pause in Shadow (Street of Crocodiles 49/5), supposedly was completed last year, but I have never seen it for sale anywhere. If any of you have seen it anywhere, please let me know; I love this music and would really like to have it on CD. There was also a CD of his soundtrack to Institute Benjamenta, but that seems to be out of print and unavailable at this time.
Please, point me in the right direction, so that I might satiate my craving for this awesome music. Of course, I'm making the assumption that you, my reader, will not become obsessed with Jankowski now that I've introduced you to his work.
Lech Jankowski's official website, with a couple mp3s for you to download.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
"Pause in Shadow" is now available on Lech Jankowski's website. A bit pricey with the US dollar exchange, but well worth it.
Thanks for the heads up. Pricey is indeed the word; the exchange would bring it to around $40. I will definitely be pinching pennies to acquire this in the future.
Post a Comment