Thursday, July 3, 2008

Snarky Opinions, Issue 6: Geffen Needs Your Money

My friend Kevin recently posted about how he feels that neither Geffen nor Beck need his thirteen dollars in exchange for Beck's new album. I disagree, at least with regard to the record label. Geffen really does need you money. Otherwise, how are they going to stay in business with all the money wasted on Chinese Democracy for the past decade and a half?

He also posted this picture a couple days ago:


The real thing, or the miracle of Photoshop? Only time will tell.

Now, I've already discussed my dislike for Guns N' Roses; I need not reiterate how annoying I think Axl Rose's hideous caterwauling is. But I actually hope that Chinese Democracy, when it is released (if ever), does well in sales. Otherwise, Geffen will be really f#cked, and I don't want them f#cked like that. Well, not until I finish my collection of Sonic Youth albums, that is. After that, I don't really care. Yes, I'm being a bit selfish today.

That's all I got, really. No other major opinions.

Until next week, my little chickadees. As your attorney, I advise you drink heavily and enjoy much grilled goodness on the day of our nation's birth tomorrow. If you are a reader from a nation other than the US of A, then go grab a pint or two anyway.

2 comments:

KLA* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KLA* said...

They do need to recover some cash from the Chinese Democracy fiasco (though it will sell many, many copies if it does come out; even the greatest hits album released a couple years ago was te number nine seller of the year). But do I care how Geffen does or feels? As far as their employees go—the normal men and women doing their best to make a living in a tough economy and trying to be involved with music in one way or another—yes. But as yet another giant label who has fucked over its artists, the very artists making them their millions, with no thought to the ethical dimensions of their often contract-breaking choices, fuck no.